Monday, October 22, 2012

When You're a Walking Dart Board ...


Compliments of FotoSearch
Remember those days in High School? Yeah, you know the ones. When all your friends decided you had a massive dart board on your face and were relentless in their pursuit to make you fall? To cave in on your principles--to deny your beliefs--to compromise...just once. My youth pastor used to tell me the problem with sin is that sin is FUN! WOOT WOOT! It's a party. Not so much if you're trying NOT to sin. Ugh.

In the past, I have found myself catching a lot of sharp darts on my face. It seemed like everyone was hitting the bullseye. It was very difficult to stand against the pressure--it hurt a lot too. It would be so easy to just give in, but I knew I wouldn't be able to live with myself later (I have an insanely acute conscience). Usually, none of it was earth shattering sin, either ... just ... against my convictions. What was hardest was the constant battering. One pressure was enough, but consistent, relentless pounding made me exhausted, sore, and bruised.

Am I being dramatic? I guess as you travel down that narrow road that is OH SO UNPOPULAR you're not exactly imbedding your star on the walk of fame. Jesus said that the path was narrow and that we would be hated for His name. Shucks. Really??? Now I can see why people don't race to become die-hard Jesus freaks. It hurts. A lot. Rewarding in the long run, fulfilling and everything we ever needed--but sometime we flinch from the pain and it's tempting to pull away.

Scripture cliches of "be still and know I am God", or "cast all your cares on Him" are ever so true, but sometimes, you still bleed through the Scripture bandages. I guess when it comes to that point when you feel as if you can't take one more dart, you remember Jesus on the cross. Jesus the vine. You attach yourself to Him, the life source, the one that will shoot forth healing balm into your soul. He who began a good work will be faithful to complete it.

I see more darts on the horizons. It's inevitable as a Christ follower. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're soon to become missiles. But I tied on my tennis this morning and I'm going for a jog down that narrow road. It's a little heavy too, 'cause I put on the armor of God and I belted the shield to my back since the darts are determined to hit me. It's coming ... there's no doubt about it ... but Jesus knows and Jesus will take the darts with me. In the meantime, I'm praying for wisdom--LOTS of wisdom.

Have any dart throwers in your life? Need relief? Maybe this is where the family of Christ comes in. Let's hold hands today and pray us through - k? If you need prayer just comment a big "I DO I DO I DO" and suddenly though the road is narrow and few walk it ... we'll see it's not totally empty.

*WINNER OF KRISTA PHILLIPS DEBUT BOOK IS ---- LEE CARVER!!! CONGRATS LEE!

14 comments:

  1. Great encouragement, we have to remember that we can walk together through the times when we bleed.

    He will carry his good work to completion, and you are his beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I've been there! It helps to know that God is there to uphold us and remind us that His way is far better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His way is far better AND more rewarding :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't have too many dart throwers. I guess I was pretty blessed that people seemed to respect how I felt about stuff and they didn't pressure me to do anything I didn't want to. I had a good high school experience, mostly...
    Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've had positive experiences ... you can be a refreshing breath of fresh air for others :)

      Delete
  4. I DO I DO I DO!

    :) Thanks for the encouragement, Jaime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO ME TOO ME TOO - hugs my Jillie :)

      Delete
  5. I've been there! There are some people in my life who definitely don't "get" me, but that's okay. He gets me and that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gets me ... love it. Sounds like a great title for a blog post :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't had too many darts thrown lately, but there have been times in my life when I've felt like I was wearing the proverbial bull's-eye.

    Don't change for anyone but Jesus. We love you the way you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May Jesus inspire change -- and only HIM!

      Delete
  7. Hi girls! All of have a weak spot in our armor, a moment when we feel alone, and the bull's eye feels stamped on our foreheads.
    Let us gird ourselves with the armor of God, stand strong in Truth and Love, through the Way that Jesus and the Great I AM have shown us.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)