Tuesday, October 16, 2012

When God Meets A Need...

It's not secret, so if my coworkers read this, I'm not exactly writing an exposé on myself -- but I do NOT fit in at work conferences. For a multitude of reasons (stop chuckling, Lindsay). Tonight, at night #2 of my conference, Lindsay Harrel rescued me from Back to the Future 80's night (hard to see professional cohorts sporting spandex). We plopped ourselves on a cabana couch-chair for two with about twenty pillows, palm trees illuminated by lights, a blue pool, and a cool refreshing breeze.

I'd never met Lindsay before. In fact, Facebook only connected us a few weeks ago -- thank you Julie Jarnigan for creating our accountability group! Funny how you can feel more at home with a stranger than business people you've networked with for years at these conferences.

We talked writing, reading, critique partners, ACFW, editing, babies (mine), puppies (hers), husbands (ours), and careers. I announced my all-typical and common career choice of HR Director -- but guess what, Lindsay is a CURRICULUM EDITOR! Curriculum editor! Isn't that freakishly wierdly cool? I forgot to ask you, Linsday, what TYPE of curriculum? English, History, Engineering, Biophysics????

I was rude and totally forgot to offer to buy her coffee, tea, or even a simple bottle of water. Yes, it's a 5-star hotel so water costs money where at Super 8 it's free. Go figure. We had three hours to cram a lifetime of stories into -- I think we did a pretty good job.

Have you ever had those moments in life where you needed rescued? I knew coming here Lindsay and I would meet up and I was excited. But by 8pm tonight, I was desperate. Homesick for my Monkey-Face and Froggy-Face, missing my best friend/husband, out of my element, socially disabled (I don't do networking funtions well at all), and dealing with other asundry aspects of the evening ... in marched Lindsay. Dimpled, cute -- well, gorgeous actually -- a woman on a mission. To meet me, to befriend me, to fellowship with me, rejoice in our Lord and and the mission of LIFE He has laid before us.

I bid her farewell. A dear friend after three hours. A heart full. (an empty hotel room to retreat to -- which is another story I'll save for someday far in the future) When God meets a need, He meets it in a big way. Lindsay was His big way for me tonight.

What's been His big way for you lately? Do tell! I want to glory in God's blessings today and give Him the praise! Join me!

(oh and for what it's worth, 80's night at my conference wasn't all lost. I did get to see Michael J Fox's actual Delorean from "Back to the Future")

20 comments:

  1. Well, add me to the "Crowd Who Love Lindsay Instantly!"
    I met her in Phoenix, although I didn't need rescuing, and we went to Starbucks and chatted for what seemed like 20 minutes but it was almost 2 hours. Or maybe for her it felt like 2 hours but was only 20 minutes.
    And yeah, gorgeous! Was she taller than you thought?
    God blessed me hugely through my best friend, who helped my in a crazy awesome way for my mission trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wasn't taller than I thought :) We were about the same height which was refreshing!! LOL Love besties don't you???

      Delete
  2. Awww, I might be a little jealous that you got to hang out with Linds! (Except that I get to hang out with her this weekend, so I should probably let the jealousy slide. :) ) So fun that the two of you got to meet!

    Yeah, it's definitely cool when God meets a need in a big way. Linds was actually that for me, too--dropping into my life when I think God knew that I'd need, more than ever, another writer who TOTALLY gets me. And, too, recently (okay, for a long time) I've needed a huge attitude adjustment at my day job and in the past few weeks I've really felt God helping me with that. Oh, I know he was there all along to help, but I finally bucked up and asked for it rather than stubbornly holding on to my bad attitude. LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know -- she told me you were doing the weekend. Now I'M jealous! :) LOL So glad you're feeling God's presence at your work -- work can be ... challenging.

      Delete
  3. Yea! I'm so glad you two could get together. I'm a little jealous...but mostly excited. :) I wish I could have been there to join the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be jealous, dear sweet Julie -- we dropped your name several times so you were practically there.

      Delete
  4. I love stories like this and how God met your need!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still jealous, but very happy you two could meet! Wouldn't it be great for all of us to meet someday! :o) We have a BIG God who cares about little things that feel big to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I was thinking ... if we met halfway for another weekend, it wouldnt be that hard.

      Delete
  6. Aw, Jaime!! I'm so happy that God was able to encourage you...through me. I'm very humbled by that. It was so amazing to meet you, and I'm soooo excited to see where the Lord takes you and your writing. Good things are coming your way, I just know it.

    Like I told you last night, God has blessed me incredibly by this online writing community. I'm not alone...and I love that! When I walked into ACFW, I seriously stopped, wanted to cry, thinking, "I'm home." It was the strangest--and coolest--feeling.

    Can't wait to see you again! Fingers crossed for next September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACFW = Home!! What a great feeling to know there's a place like that we can all run to!

      Delete
  7. It won't let me reply directly to people, so:

    Jennifer:
    You are sooo awesome! You are making me blush. I love ya back!

    Mel:
    Girl, you know I feel the same way about you. Repeating that mantra, over and over, today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a perfect evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for being rescued! God is so good, and what a fun time it sounds like you had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun!! What a special time for both of you. Ooh, I'm just thinking about that lit pool time of fellowship to talk writing, dogs and hubbies, how wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)