Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What Inspires You?

My daughter surrounds herself with monkeys. Oh yes, and a few other well-placed friends. We just put her flannel sheets on the bed this weekend and had to rearrange her menagerie. So, she's a little OCD --I had to put each friend in its rightful spot. At nighttime, I can hear her chatting it up with her friends, having little parties and singalongs, and even telling them stories about stinging bees, or biting tigers (yes, I think she's going to write suspense when she grows up). Her friends are her inspiration.

Which led me to think -- what inspires me? Specifically, what inspires me to write? Am I like my daughter--do I surround myself with it?

  • History - history inspires me. I love hearing the old stories, reading the annals of memories of a long lost soul, journals and diaries ... sigh... love it.
  • Romance - yes, dear hearts -- IT EXISTS! So it's in the form of my husband building a doghouse for my dogs when he's not a dog lover - at all. It may not be a rose, or a dinner out, but trust me, that plywood doghouse is beautiful.
  • Characters - I love looking at pictures of people. There's such art in a person's face. Not necessarily just handsome men or beautiful women. But the wise, wrinkled face of an old man, or the narrow nosed lady with the high brows and huge lips.
  • Nature - a crisp Autumn day with orange leaves making a blanket on my yard, or a summer afternoon with a cool breeze and the smell of fresh flowers drifting over the air. Mountains in the distance, the broad expanse of a lake, the trickle of a creek, or the blue of the sky - inspiring.
Do I surround myself by the inspirational? It motivates me to write. Stories evolve in my brain like a neverending cd on loop. It's AWESOME! I love it! I learn so much from my daughter. SHE inspires me. And I do surround myself with her. If she can imagine herself in a different world with all her friends, well then, gosh darn it, so can I! :)

What inspires you - to write, to read, or to live?

8 comments:

  1. I'm always inspired by THE Word to write. I seem to find story ideas mostly from passages I read. I'm inspired by nature. And the CW. It's true. lol I love that channel. A great team of writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! I like to have an overall Spiritual theme I'm passionate about and see it weave through my character's lives. BAHAHA!! THE CW???? I love you!! ROTFLOL

      Delete
  2. That's so cute. What a cozy bed! Music often inspires me to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music, huh? I've heard a lot of writers say that -- I'll have to try it :)

      Delete
  3. Love that barrel of monkeys!

    Reading history books and the stories of bravery and courage and sacrifice inspire me to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Researching family history has inspired me to write and make up stories. Music, yep. LOVE old photos and old things, just check out my Pinterest and you'll see what I surround myself with, or wish I could afford to surround myself with--no my house isn't a mini-me of my Pinterest account. Sigh.
    Reading, movies, nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, call me silly, but what is CW?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The CW is only the most awesome TV channel ever (says someone who doesn't even live in the USA). Home is such fabulous shows as One Tree Hill :)

    My one year-old inspires me. Watching him tackle the world head on (literally!) with no fear of failing encourages me to not be afraid to follow my dreams.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)