Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Bell Tolls for Freedom

Travel log Philadelphia: part II

If you've never visited Christ Church while in Philly, it's well worth the time to add it to your next trip.
Not far from the Betsy Ross house and Elfreth's Alley, Christ Church was founded in 1695.


This building was erected in 1727. It's eight original bells were brought from England in 1754 and rang proclaiming independence on July 4, 1776. They still ring today. In fact, they rang during our visit.


The church is open to the public. We lucked out and got to sit in George Washington's pew and listen to the organist practice on the pipe organ for Sunday's service. The sound of the pipe organ transported me to the European churches I'd sung in during college. Thrillingly beautiful sound.


It made me grateful for our freedom of religion.

John 8:36: "If the Son sets you free, you are free indeed."

Let us use our freedom for God's glory and not take it for granted. Let us remember our sisters and brothers in Christ around the world who are not free to worship Christ openly. Remember your freedom and those lacking any kind of freedom the next time you hear a bell toll.

Conversation Point:
How do you remember or celebrate your freedom in Christ?
Do you feel that you use your freedom in Christ to the fullest?
What does freedom mean to you?

The winner of the No Safe Harbor give away is: 
Melissa Andres!! (we need your email address!)

Also:
Here's one of our favorites thing! ANITA HIGMAN'S NEW BOOK "A Merry Little Christmas"! Cute in its hardback binding, warm 1960's flavor, and sentimental romance. We'll be interviewing Anita on Friday and guess what? We're giving away THREE COPIES of this Christmas story! Comment every day and your name will be entered once for every comment! Winners will be announced Monday, 11/5! (Sorry, US citizens only) 

10 comments:

  1. Very cool trip. Unfortunately, not only have I NOT visited Christ Church... I've also NOT visited Philly. :( My girls got to go to Philly last year on a mission trip, but they went to Hershey Park instead of anything of real historic value. lol.

    You ought to make a trip to Savannah, we have George Washington's Cannons here. He gave them to someone here in Savannah and they are sitting right down on Bay Street. :) I hated history in high school, but LOVE seeing REAL history.. or is that history in person? However it's best put.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Ladette. In high school our history teacher just lectured, made us take grueling notes, then gave us 10 question quizes worth 100 pts--miss a few and you bombed. It was a great motivator but never sprung from a love of history!

      I think it was my mom who started the spark of the flame that is now my love of history. She took me along to the Ft Wayne IN library to research family history. I spent hours as a 13 yr old helping her scroll through old census records. I became inthralled with the old style script and the sense that I was looking into the real lives of real people!

      I saw on your FB page, some famous old ship sunk in Savannah?? Sad. :( But I liked your pics!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! You can travel vicariously here! :)

      Delete
  3. So pretty! I want to take a trip up the East Coast someday and visit all the historic landmarks (Philly, Boston, Gettysburg, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All very worth Lindsay!! Ted and I really enjoyed doing Gettysburg. Maybe I'll blog about that trip sometime too.

      Delete
  4. Loved the photos. I've been to Pittsburgh, but never Philly. Now I want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally worth it. My mom and I took the train. We had a layover in Pittsburgh, then on to Philly. Taking the train is great because you can relax and read, write, sleep, etc. People on the train are so much more relaxed than when you fly.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)