Monday, October 29, 2012

Have You Examined Your Worship Lately?

I helped plan and attended an all day worship training session for local area churches this weekend. It was our hope to share resources, encourage other leaders, and provide a time for area churches to connect and plant seeds of new and fresh ideas about worshipping our God. This is the first time our church has done this, but I found myself personally challenged to examine my worship.

The keynote speaker, Michael Zehr with Design International Group, talked about how our consumer attitudes affect our worship. When visiting the local retail stores weekly, we not only want--we expect to:
--find what we want
--be comfortable
--get it conveniently
--and at the lowest cost to us.

But when we think this way about worship, we get it all wrong. The Kingdom of God is an upside down kingdom, and when we worship our King, we should aim to:
--find what God wants
--be willing to get uncomfortable
--put commitment above convenience
--and not only expect it to cost us something but expect to bring an offering to the King.

John 4: 23-24: "Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and His worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

He reminded us that the three magi went out of their way, on a long, inconvenient, dangerous journey with only one purpose: to honor the King and offer Him precious gifts.

He reminded us that the widow--the one person who would have every reason to come to worship wanting to receive, to be comforted, in need of conveniences, and desiring low cost worship---she was the one who gave all she had.

A quote that sticks with me:  "God is God, and we are not Him."

He asked us, and I in turn ask you: 
"When is the last time you got on your knees, or got prostrate before God?"
"Do you prepare to worship and practice worship all week?"
"What do you have to offer God in your worship?"

Have you examined your worship lately? Are you ready to actually ask God to search you, to try your heart?

I join you in recognizing, and confessing that I really needed to examine my heart, and to let God examine my heart.

Psalm 139: 23-24:
"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
24 And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post!!! I totally agree (though my practice is rusty, heh). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, very convicting. Sometimes I do find myself just singing songs and not thinking about why or what they mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found it as challenging as I did. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)