Friday, October 12, 2012

Book Review: Love's Reckoning by Laura Frantz

I've been waiting very impatiently for Laura Frantz's fourth book to release for weeks. I've read all her others and this one truly rose to the top of my favorites list. Love's Reckoning is the first in the Ballantyne Legacy, and it's sure to move your heart.



Setting  This legacy spans the map from 1784 York County, Pennsylvania to the growing town of Pittsburgh. This is the frontier of the 18th century with stalwart immigrants trudging westward to new unclaimed lands.

Characters & Plot Silas Ballantyne is a swoon-worthy unsuspecting blacksmith apprentice bonded to Liege Lee of York County, but his sites are set on Pittsburgh. Eden and Elspeth are the master's daughters--one gentle, humble, and kind--the other with a cunning nature and a secret agenda. You will want to move westward with this Scotsman and will be touched by the unfolding saga of God's love--a love that covers a multitude of wrongs--both willful and presumptuous. If I could sum up the theme, I'd say what Joseph said to his brothers in Genesis 50: 20: "what others meant for evil, God meant for good."

Style Laura's gift is in her balance of tension, powerful prose, enticing portrayal of the setting, and careful pacing of burgeoning love of a man, a woman, and their God and Father above. If you venture to read Laura's latest release, I've no doubt you'll be temped to charge over to amazon, order her earlier works, and share them with your friends.

Favorite's Test I'm not a big fan of re-reading books---unless they are just that good! I don't have a large list of favorites that I reread, but this book made it into my re-read pile. I'd give this a 5-star on my re-read pile.

And Laura, well I've never met her in person. But I can't wait to do so because her sweetness shines through her online virtual presence as much as it does in her fiction. You can find her at http://laurafrantz.net/. She is truly a kindred spirit. I smile often when I'm pinning on Pinterest and my gaze falls on an image I love--only to find that Laura pinned it.

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read my copy! A dear friend gave it to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I have heard sooo much about this book. I neeeed to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adored this book. It is definitely a re-read type of book as are Laura's others. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent book! Laura is one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my!! So moved by your beautiful review and these comments! A true blessing on a rainy Friday. You're a wonderful writer and reviewer, Anne. Your prose really shines through. You make me want to reread my own book, lol;) Thanks so very much.

    And I love your site here - lovely and inviting and gracious! Just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing about this book...which probably means I need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!!! I loved this book too! And have found a sweet and wonderful friend in it's beautiful author! Laura's talent amazes me! And yes, Love's Reckoning is on my re-read list too!!! LOL Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! I'm so glad there is so much excitement for Laura's book! And thanks for stopping by Laura, we love having you here.

    Carla--certainly on my re-read list--and that is a short list for me, so it's an honor!

    Girls--there's a reason you keep hearing raves about this book...maybe I'll have to put it up next for a free give away!! Keep tuned in the following weeks. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I just realized this is Jaime's site, too!! Waving at her, too:) Love that pic of the two of you!! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read Laura's other books and can't wait to get a copy of this one. She's high on my list of favorite authors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Susan! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)