Friday, October 19, 2012

Book Report: Sandwich With A Side of Romance, by Krista Phillips


I love plane rides. Hours in a cramped seat, with arms overflowing onto other passenger's laps, knees stuffed up to your face, and six-dollar peanuts. What a beautiful existence. Well, it was this last Wednesday. On my flight home, I squeezed Krista Phillips, "Sandwich With a Side of Romance" between my knees and my nose. Only three quarters of the book left to go and three hours between Scottsdale, Arizona and Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Here. We. Go.

HOLY PEANUTS! I think I may have discovered the next Denise Hunter. Krista's debut novel is wacked out with amazingness. I know, I always gush over books, but really ... I do only gush when I feel they're gush-worthy. Krista's book was so well-balanced, so put together, concise, and gutsy, I didn't think a demure looking, pretty, brunette author who is Krista, could pull together such a witty piece of literature. LOVED. IT.

Characters: Ok. So Maddie, the main character, is fiesty. What I loved about her fiestiness is the fact that it was a cover -- for anxiety, insecurity, guilt, and shame. It was the perfect cover to unveil as the story and the romance moved forward. Inside we see someone who no longer deserves to be loved, who's past failures were spawned by abuse and neglect, and who doesn't realize the grace her Lord brings her more love than she can fathom. Rueben, our hero, is a jerk. I LOVED IT! I love jerks. To the extent that their form of jerkiness is impatience, irritability, strong-minded confidence, and lovability. Yeah. You wouldn't think an insensitive hero could be loveable, did you? Well, Krista nailed it. And made him drop dead gorgeous with FANTASTIC hair. Rueben was a great dichotemy between Maddie's soiled past and his shielded past. Grown up Christian, well-raised, well-loved, and stable, Reuben has to learn that his "issues" are perhaps God's means of teaching him sensitivity and outreach to this snippy young thang just just rolled into town.

Setting: Is Sandwich, Illinois a real place? I think it is. And, though the landmarks don't necessarily scream an identity, the PEOPLE of Sandwich is what makes this setting really work. It's a town filled with familiar faces -- people we meet everyday. The busy-bodies, the givers, the spiteful, and those who sacrifice.

Romance: It's thick, lovely, heady. As delicious as a BLT, as juicy as a turkey on rye, and as filling as a grilled ham and cheese.

SO to celebrate Krista's new release and to share the delicious goodness - CCC BLOG is GIVING AWAY our personal copy of Sandwich With A Side of Roamnce!!

To enter - you can receive multiple entries by:
1. Leave a comment on the blog
2. Follow our blog by becoming a Fellow Coffee Guzzler (see over to your right) -- if you already ARE, just let us know in your comment
3. Go to our "About Us" pages and follow our links. Like us on Facebook and Follow Us on Twitter. Let us know you did in our comment.

AND ...

4. Recruit a friend to visit the CCC blog. If they leave a comment and mention they were referred by you, you'll receive an extra TWO entries!

You can receive up to FIVE entries by the doing the above. And trust me, you'll want EVERY ONE!

Drawing will be announced on Monday morning, the 22nd. Only applicable to those living in the United States.

What's been your best read of the week?

22 comments:

  1. I'm reading Dee Henderson's new one, Full Disclosure!

    Can't wait to read Krista's book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week I'm reading A Case Of Bad Taste by Lori Copeland. If the author you're promoting is ANYTHING like Denise Hunter, then I will be a BIG fan!! I sure hope I win!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really enjoy Krista's book, then, Gail!

      Delete
  3. I love this review! I'm getting my copy in the mail this week, maybe even today! I can't wait to read it, I've been hearing wonderful things :) Krista is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy it once you get the book -- and keep open some free time 'cause you won't want to put it down!

      Delete
  4. Woot! LOVE this review and the great character behind it. I have the novel on my bookshelf waiting to be read, so please don't enter me, but what a great and fun review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds great! I follow the blog, twitter and Facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I finished this book shortly after its birth, so loved it. Krista is as much fun in person as this book (smile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I've met Krista via the virtual world -- can't wait to meet her in person! :)

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed reading your review! :)

    Jes
    jswaks at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've also met Krista online. Please enter me.

    susanjreinhardt AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANKS for the kind words, friend!!! SO happy you enjoyed it!!! It was a fun one to write:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it! I just hate to part with it. I'll have to buy another copy for me :)

      Delete
  10. Wish I'd taken time to read your blog before. This sounds like a book I'd really enjoy. Will it be in Kindle, too? And another question: it's too late now, but theoretically speaking, if I mounted your blog info on my blog and referred non-writers, wouldn't you be pleased? I'm thinking of using my blog as a freebie source. Whatdayathink?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lee! Guess what?? YOU WON THE BOOK!!! :) :) :) YEAH!!! Please shoot me an email at jaimewrightbooks at gmail dot com with your physcial mailing address and I'll get it sent out to you!! (and yes, we'd love any referrals you can bring our way!) :)

      Delete
  11. Very excited about Krista's book! It sounds fantastic. Already following the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla, thanks for following us and entering to win! :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)